Sunday, May 27, 2012

Yes, I do believe that I am now a Blogger!

So, for my first post, I thought I would explain where the name and concept for this blog started.  It all happened 36+ years ago (YIKES) when my Mom gave birth to a baby girl!  This after having 3 boys and then a long break from childbirth in between.  She used to love to tell everyone that when the doctor told her that I was a girl, she didn't believe him so she had to pull my diaper down and check!

My Mom had always loved her boys, but what Mother doesn't want a little girl to dress up and do "girly" things with?  She was a stay at home Mom (for the most part, some part time jobs in between) so she and I did those things during my childhood, baking cookies and cakes, planting flowers, sewing, crocheting.  I really enjoyed doing that stuff with her, until my ugly teen years arrived.  Suddenly, the idea of growing up to be a "Suzy Homemaker" was ludicrous to me!  I wanted to write books and travel, and children?  No, that's not for me!   In fact, I took every elective that was available that did not pertain to the home or making of it in. any. way.  It wasn't until my senior year that the small town high school that I went to ran out of electives and I was forced into a home economics type of class, I chose cooking and complained about it every single moment of every class.  Thank goodness, I never insulted my Mother about her "job", I just avoided anything that would set my path in that same direction.  I know that she wanted me to take sewing because she had always wanted me to learn the proper way of doing it because she had taught herself and knew her way wasn't always right.  She always looked at my friends sewing projects and would ask me why didn't I have one....I would just say, I didn't take that class.

The years went by, I went to college for journalism with the full support of my Mom, she always believed in her children, we could literally do ANYTHING in her eyes.  There is something powerful to be said about a Mother like that, I now find it inspiring.  I worked for an insurance agency and became a pretty successful agent in the small town I grew up in.  As a matter of fact, I sold insurance to a very special guy that soon became my husband.  And, wouldn't you know it, he wanted children!  And, so did I.

Eventually, my husband and I got transferred to Illinois by his employer and I had to hug my family and say goodbye.  Of course, I visited home as often as I could, and I still do, but nothing replaces being just a short drive from those you love the most.  And, most importantly, my Mom only got to hear about the new things I was trying to do with our new home.  She wasn't there to help me decide what flowers and bushes to put in our yard, she wasn't there physically to help me pick out curtains.  She wasn't there to look at me with that smile that only a Mother has when her child has become what she had always hoped she would be.

You see, a career wasn't important to my Mom.  She always knew I could do anything, but what was most important to her was that I had love in my life and that I had the skills necessary to take whatever I had in front of me and make it mine.  It didn't matter if it was a garden, or a piece of cloth, or a chicken (lol), or a struggle that is your cross to bear in life.  She knew that if I was a well rounded person, I would be able to make the most of anything.  So, here I am, the vision that she had 36 years ago, I am My Mother's Daughter.  And, I am proud to say it.

No comments:

Post a Comment